- Discount flight notifications for deals from your nearest airport delivered to your email nearly daily for $25/year – NextVacay.com
- Join frequent flyer programs and look for ways to double dip
- Prices often change late Monday nights so Tuesday is the best time to shop. Some advice suggests 3pm EST is the best time to shop for a fare on Tuesdays.
- At the airport:
- Research baggage prices and buy ahead – find out if the prices will increase if you wait to purchase at the airport
- Also research size requirements as weight and dimension can differ by airline
- Container store has nice small bottles for carry-on fluids
- TSA Pre-check or Global Entry are nice options for reducing your wait and streamlining your security experience; your credit company may reimburse this – look into it
- Clear is a new option in a few airports
- Global Entry is also a nice option which helps you clear customs faster when returning from out of the county; it includes TSA pre-check benefits
We’re all looking for a good deal on airfare and today’s easy access to travel sites allows us to compare and contrast fares across airlines. Travelers may expect to tack on additional costs to the ultra low cost carriers’ tickets but beware that the basic economy tickets on major carriers may also lack some of the standard options. These lower ticket prices may include restrictions like no seat choice, no carry on baggage, no upgrades and no qualifying frequent flyer miles. Read the fine print and be sure that the airline ticket you purchase does in fact include the options that are important to you. We love a good deal at LTP, but not at the expense of our upgrade eligibility!
Do you enjoy the (usually) shorter lines and less hassle of the TSA PreCheck line? If so, you’d probably be disappointed to be declined the opportunity to enter that line because your membership expired. These memberships are only good for 5 years.
The TSA began selling PreCheck memberships in December 2013. More than 420,000 travelers signed up in the first six months, with a total of 750,000 travelers signed up in the first year. This means that thousands of memberships are expiring each month this year. Most users can renew their membership for $85 through an easy online process and memberships can be renewed up to 6 months in advance of the expiration date. To learn more, check out the TSA website .
As a frequent passenger on red-eye flights over the holiday season, I cringe as I try to fall asleep listening to a cacophony of sneezes and coughs. I walked onto the plane healthy and I’d like to walk off healthy in 6 hours, thank you very much!
To cut down on the germs surrounding you, pack small anti-bacterial hand sanitizer wipes with you. As soon as you get seated on the plane, wipe down the armrests, the table tray and any buttons used to control the entertainment system.
We love picking up our friends and loved ones from the airport. However, it can be tricky perfectly timing our arrival at the airport with their stepping out onto the curb with their bags. To ensure a timely pickup without the need for our guests to wait, check out the designated cell phone lots.
Most airports now have spacious, designated parking spots in near proximity to the passenger pick up area. They’re safe,convenient and there is no need to keep circling the airport. If you’re lucky, you may even find a public restroom available while you wait!