- Discount flight notifications for deals from your nearest airport delivered to your email nearly daily for $25/year – NextVacay.com
- Join frequent flyer programs and look for ways to double dip
- Prices often change late Monday nights so Tuesday is the best time to shop. Some advice suggests 3pm EST is the best time to shop for a fare on Tuesdays.
- At the airport:
- Research baggage prices and buy ahead – find out if the prices will increase if you wait to purchase at the airport
- Also research size requirements as weight and dimension can differ by airline
- Container store has nice small bottles for carry-on fluids
- TSA Pre-check or Global Entry are nice options for reducing your wait and streamlining your security experience; your credit company may reimburse this – look into it
- Clear is a new option in a few airports
- Global Entry is also a nice option which helps you clear customs faster when returning from out of the county; it includes TSA pre-check benefits
Tip 78: How to check for hidden cameras
Ugh, yeah…it’s a thing. A sad phenomenon that seems to likely be growing.
Here is the best advice we found on how to guard against being secretly filmed at a hotel or rental: https://www.smartertravel.com/2018/03/14/check-hidden-cameras-hotel-vacation-rental/
Tip 68: Reusable Travel Size Bottles
Having to fit all liquids in a quart size bag can be a challenge. Consider buying Nalgene brand bottles as they are truly leakproof. You can also buy .5 ounce bottles, which will hold plenty of shampoo, conditioner, etc. for even week-long trips. They take up much less room than the standard 1- 3 ounce bottles that usually remain halfway empty. You can buy them at the Container Store or online.
Tip 65: Doublecheck the Name on Your Travel Documents
The name on your airline ticket should exactly match the name on the photo ID used for traveling. Have a middle name on your photo ID? If so, make sure your middle name is on your ticket, not your middle initial. Be aware that the way your name is listed on your Driver’s License could be different from how it is listed on your passport. You can be denied boarding if your names are not a perfect match.
Tip 48: Use the deadbolt!
Yesterday I was in my hotel room waiting for a friend to arrive, and a hotel staff member unlocked my door and started to open it. I startled her and she startled me.
Lesson learned: always deadbolt the door