1. What are positive benefits of Girls Trips?
2. Why do we feel guilty about taking Girls Trips? What are other obstacles?
- Mom guilt is hard to overcome but it is worth it for the whole family for Mom to get a quick recharge
- Money and time are other challenges
- Prioritizing self vs family or home expenses and spending money on self vs family//home
3. How to overcome obstacles?
- Start small – consider a driving trip that is only a few hours from home and not as costly
- Divide and conquer on the tasks
- Make a goal to get away and budget ahead for the trip
- Decide how you want to split costs and track spending
4. How are Girls Trips different than other trips?
- Sometimes I don’t do much planning at all…it’s so rare to just “show up” as many people share the burden of planning.
- Less stress only worrying only about myself (and cheaper than taking the whole family!!)
5. Girls Trip Favorites:
Best trips for large groups?
- Rebecca – somewhere near home so more people can afford to go
- Michelle – a retreat hotel with a lot of variety in options
- Sandy – consider vacation home rental with a lot of bedrooms and common shared space
- Rebecca – Vegas (#sorrynotsorry) – recommend Priceline for good hotel deals
- Michelle – Driving trips with nearby free festivals or museums
- Sandy – Visit friends and take advantage of some nights with no hotel; Pagosa Springs was a recent favorite near a friend’s house in Colorado Springs
- Rebecca – Napa
- Michelle – Any beach
- Sandy – Lake Austin near Austin, TX
Quick and impactful?
- Rebecca – French Lick, Indiana & Downtown Indy (where we get to mention riding elephants again…oh, and a biofreeze massage)
- Michelle – Sarasota & Epcot Food and Wine Festival (Orlando)
- Sandy – short cruise from Florida to Bahamas
- Rebecca – Memphis – Graceland but more seriously the Civil Rights Museum
- Michelle – Trips to a faith-based conference with sightseeing on the side
- Sandy- Lake Austin
All time favorite?
- Rebecca – Maui
- Michelle – Maui; Lake Austin gets honorable mention
- Sandy- French Polynesia island cruise including Bora Bora
- Rebecca – Lisbon, Portugal & the Canary Islands
- Michelle – Palm Beach, Florida
- Sandy – Asheville, North Carolina
6. Parting advice on taking a fabulous girls trip?
- Save a date and book well in advance; unless you pay upfront for a hotel, you can usually cancel very close to your travel dates without penalty
- Create a schedule of events with variety; make plans that suit nearly everyone’s needs and then just go with the flow – not everyone may want to do everything and that’s ok
- Agree on a budget and secure some of the costs so you have real commitment
- Don’t sweat the details – you’ll have a blast even if some small things go wrong
Girls Trip 2017: Epcot Food & Wine