CEB Research – https://www.cebglobal.com/insights/change-management.html
What tools or models do you think are most helpful to people leading change?
- Kotter’s Change Leadership model
- David Rock’s SCARF model – video overview
When you see someone who just has a knack for championing change, what characteristic/trait sticks out to you? (What makes them great?)
- Aware of stakeholders
What are often overlooked execution strategies leaders miss as they get wrapped up on “doing the change”?
- Celebrating small wins
- Anticipating resistance – more info on Pre-Mortems
- Slow down to move fast – aligning on the front end
- Knowing when it’s ok to direct change vs allow for more collective intelligence/wisdom of the crowd – Kerber and Buono research (this is a bit more academic but good stuff)
How can the leader solidify the change in the culture?
- Provide opportunities for 2-way conversation with employees
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
- Reward the right behaviors
- Modeling what you want to see in others
- Select people who align with and advance the culture you are building
- Know when to change talent on a project team to reinvigorate a change
What strategies do you use to personally cope with change?
- Reminding myself that it’s usually not as bad as I assume it will be
- Focus on gratitude even in the midst of pain
- Not ignore our feelings
- Giving up control
- Being intentional about how you are spending your social time and making sure you are not isolating yourself
How do you help those who struggle with resistance to change?
- Demonstrating empathy
- Not passing judgment when someone is struggling
- Provide personal examples
- Change style indicator – brochure
- William Bridges’ transitions model
What change books and resources have been helpful?
- Simon Sinek’s Start with Why – TEDx video and book
- Chip and Dan Heath’s Switch
- Daryl Conner’s thought leadership
- Vital Smart’s Influencer model – complete form to unlock free resources
- Association of Change Management Professionals
It seems like all industries, fields, even hobbies are changing a lot based on digital and other trends. How do you stay on top – or in front, when possible – of these changes?
- Think of other ways to do things you do today especially ways to use digital tools differently
- Twitter and LinkedIn helps connect global thought leaders
- Conferences or Professional development sessions and organizations
Girls’ Trip Elephant Adventure pictures – Sandy on an elephant at the Indianapolis Zoo